GoPro is considered the best action camera in the market and is capable of recording and capturing your sports ventures in up to 4k resolution. But the price tag that comes with the GoPro cameras is something not everybody can afford. Also, since these cameras are mostly used to record action and adventure, there are chances of the camera getting lost, drowning or even damaged during a stunt, so it isn’t the most affordable option to purchase a GoPro.
As of now, GoPro has come out with a number of different action cameras, with the latest being GoPro Hero 5 Black and GoPro Hero 5 Session. Apart from the rectangular shape that the GoPro action cameras are normally seen with, the Session range of cameras comes with a square design and provides a good variety of users.
But even with the progression of features that comes with each new model by the leading camera manufacturing company, it isn’t possible to upgrade the model every time, nor is it a good idea to settle for something that is not up to the mark.
How to find a good GoPro alternative camera?
Even if you are a die-hard GoPro fan, you have to agree that the high cost of the company’s products can definitely put a damper on things and burn a hole in your pocket unnecessarily, when there are some strong competitors in the market. Many of these competitors are Chinese manufacturers that copy the best of features but at a much lower cost. But apart from Chinese alternatives for GoPro, there are various other companies like Garmin, Sony, Olympus, etc. that produce some great cameras to choose from too.
These action cameras come in different shapes and sizes, and you can find a wide range of cameras to suit your needs. Look for these top specifications when making a choice:
- Depending on what you are recording, pick the recording and picture resolution as well as camera features.
- Take the size of the camera into consideration so that depending on the sport you choose it for, it fits perfectly and conveniently.
- Check whether the action camera is waterproof or not (the latest GoPro is waterproof without a case), and how tough it is in rugged conditions.
- Accessories - Make sure there are plenty of accessories available for the model you select. Some cameras will fit the GoPro accessories which would be the best options as the market is full of them.
- Understand whether you require an LCD at the back of the camera to view your recordings or not. Cameras without it will obviously be cheaper.
- Inquire about the camera's after sales service, and how easy or tough it is to replace the parts or repair in case of any damage.
Buy a GoPro alternative camera and record your next adventure without having to spend a fortune, and also ensure that you receive all the necessary features but at the fraction of the cost that a GoPro would cost you!
Whether you want a different brand or just a cheaper option, we have created this page that has a bunch of cameras for you to choose from.
Cheap GoPro alternatives list - (Updated Sep 2017)
This page will keep getting updated as new models hit the market so make sure to check back from time to time!